Hey there! If you’re reading this, chances are you’re a gamer who uses Discord to stay connected with friends and teammates. we’ll walk you through how to update Discord is an awesome app, but with updates coming out all the time, it’s easy to fall behind on the latest features and security patches. Keeping Discord up to date is important to ensure you have the best experience and to safeguard your account.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to update Discord on whatever platform you use – whether you’re on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS, we’ve got you covered. By the end of this, your Discord app will be shiny and new, and you’ll be back to chatting and streaming in no time. Let’s get started!
Why You Should Update Discord
Keeping Discord up to date is really important. Updates usually contain new features, security patches, and bug fixes to keep your app running smoothly.
If you don’t update, you could miss out on cool new functions and risk your account security. Discord rolls out updates regularly, so checking for the latest version should become a habit.
How to Update Discord on Windows`
Here are the steps on how to update Discord on Windows:
- Close Discord: Before updating, make sure to close the Discord application completely. Right-click on the Discord icon in the system tray (near the clock) and select “Close Discord.”
- Check for Updates: To check if there’s a new version of Discord available, you’ll need to open the Discord application again. You can do this by clicking on the Discord shortcut on your desktop or by searching for “Discord” in the Start menu and clicking on the application.
- Open User Settings: Once you’re in the Discord application, click on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the window. This will open the “User Settings” menu.
- Navigate to “Update”: In the “User Settings” menu, look on the left-hand side and click on the “Update” tab. Here, you’ll find options related to updating Discord.
- Check for Updates Manually: In the “Update” tab, you’ll see a “Check for Updates” button. Click on it to force Discord to check for updates immediately.
- Download and Install Updates: If there’s a new version available, Discord will automatically download and install it for you. You may need to wait for a few moments while the update process completes.
- Relaunch Discord: Once the update is installed, Discord will prompt you to relaunch the application to apply the changes. Click on the “Relaunch” button to restart Discord with the latest version.
Read More: How to Update Blender? Steps by Step
Updating Discord on Mac
To update Discord on your Mac, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Discord app on your Mac.
- Click the Discord logo in the upper left corner. This will open the Discord menu.
- Select “Check for Updates” from the menu.
- Discord will automatically check for any available updates and install them.
If there is an update available, Discord will download the update in the background. Once the download is complete, you’ll see a “Update Available” message at the top of the app. Click “Update Now” to install the update and relaunch Discord.
- It’s a good idea to update Discord regularly to ensure you have the latest features, bug fixes, and security patches. Discord releases updates every few weeks to continuously improve the app.
- When Discord releases an update, it may log you out automatically and require you to sign in again.
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection before updating Discord. The app may require downloading packages of 10-20MB or more for major updates. Updates typically only take a few seconds to install but the download time will depend on your internet speed.
- If you have any issues updating Discord on your Mac, try reinstalling the app. First, uninstall Discord from your Mac. Then visit the Discord website and download the latest version of Discord. Reinstall the app and sign in again. This should resolve any problems updating the app.
That’s the basic process for updating Discord on your Mac computer. Keeping the app up to date is important for the best experience, so check for updates every few weeks or whenever you notice a new feature mentioned on the Discord blog or Twitter. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Updating the Discord App on Android
To update Discord on your Android device, follow these easy steps:
- Open the Discord app on your Android.
- Tap the Menu (three dots) icon in the top right corner.
- Tap “Check for Updates“. Discord will search for the latest version.
- If an update is found, tap “Download and Install” or “Update” to begin updating the app.
The update may take a few minutes to download and install, depending on your internet connection speed. Once completed, Discord will automatically relaunch with the latest version. Your chats, servers, and settings will all remain intact after updating.
It’s a good idea to update Discord regularly to ensure you have the most recent features and security updates. New versions often contain improvements like:
- Performance upgrades: Updates frequently contain optimizations to make Discord run more smoothly.
- New features: Discord is constantly adding new features like video chat, screen sharing, server folders, and more. Updates allow you to access the latest features.
- Bug fixes: Updates patch any security vulnerabilities or software bugs in previous Discord versions. Updating helps keep your account and information safe.
- Compatibility changes: Discord sometimes releases updates to maintain compatibility with the latest Android versions. Updating prevents the app from becoming outdated.
So make checking for Discord updates a habit and tap that “Update” button whenever a new version becomes available. Your fellow gamers and community members will thank you for keeping your Discord experience safe, up-to-date, and running smoothly.
Read More: How to Update ElvUI? Steps by Step
How to Update Discord on iPhone or iPad
To update Discord on your iPhone or iPad, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Discord app on your iOS device.
- Tap the Settings icon, which looks like a gear. This can be found at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Check for Updates” from the menu. Discord will search for any available updates and download the latest version automatically.
- If an update is found, tap “Update” to install it. The update may take a few minutes to download depending on your internet connection.
Once the update has been installed, you may be prompted to restart the Discord app. Go ahead and reopen Discord to start using the latest version. The update process is quick and painless, so you’ll be back to chatting with your friends in no time.
Keeping Discord up to date on your iPhone or iPad is important for several reasons:
New features – Updates often add useful new features, tools, and capabilities to Discord that you won’t want to miss out on. Things like video chat, screen sharing, and emoji reactions have all been added through updates.
Security patches – Updates frequently contain security patches to ensure your account and information stay safe while using Discord. It’s best to install updates as soon as possible to avoid any vulnerabilities.
Bug fixes – Updates fix any issues, glitches, or bugs in the current version of Discord. Updating prevents crashes, login problems, or other annoyances from happening.
Compatibility – Discord updates are optimized for the latest iOS software releases from Apple. Updating ensures maximum compatibility and performance with your iPhone or iPad’s operating system.
Be sure to check for Discord updates regularly and always install them when prompted for the best experience. Keeping the app up to date on your iOS device is the best way to take advantage of all the newest features Discord has to offer while avoiding any potential issues.
Discord Update Stuck or Not Working? Here’s How to Fix It
Discord updates regularly to fix bugs, improve performance, and add new features. However, sometimes updates can get stuck or cause issues. Here are some tips to try if your Discord update is stuck or not working:
Check Your Internet Connection
Discord requires an active internet connection to download and install updates. Make sure you have a stable Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. Slow or unreliable connections can cause the update to stall or fail.
Restart Your Device
Restarting your computer, phone, or tablet can often fix temporary software issues and allow the update to resume. Close all apps and restart your device. This will refresh your device’s memory and software, then you can reopen Discord to check for the update.
Uninstall Then Reinstall Discord
If restarting doesn’t help and the update is still stuck, you may need to uninstall Discord then redownload the latest version. Make sure to back up your Discord data first.
- Open the Discord folder on your device and copy the “Local Storage” folder which contains your messages, voice settings, and other Discord data.
- Uninstall Discord through the app store or control panel on your device.
- Redownload the Discord app and install the latest version.
- Replace the new “Local Storage” folder with your backup to restore your Discord data.
Contact Discord Support
If uninstalling and reinstalling don’t fix the issue, the update may have caused a bigger problem. Contact Discord’s support team for further help. Explain your issue in detail and include any error messages you received. The Discord team can investigate and may ask you for more information to diagnose and resolve the problem.
With some patience and troubleshooting, you should be able to get your Discord update installed and working properly again. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Recent Discord Updates: What’s New
Discord frequently releases updates to improve the app and fix any issues. It is a good idea to keep your Discord app up to date so you have the latest features and security patches. Here are some of the recent updates Discord has released:
Update for Screen Sharing on Mobile
Discord recently added the ability to screen share on their Android and iOS mobile apps. Now you can share your mobile screen with friends while chatting on voice or video. This feature makes Discord even more useful for collaborating and gaming on the go.
Improved Notification Settings
Discord revamped its notification settings to give you more control. You can now choose which types of notifications you want to receive for each server. Options include mentions, all messages, and nothing. You can also set notification preferences for direct messages and group chats. These improved notifications help reduce distraction while still keeping you in the loop.
Discord released an â€œStreamer Mode feature for users who live stream their gaming sessions. When enabled, Streamer Mode hides personal information like your email address and hides people’s names in chat. It also prevents people from @mentioning you. This mode is useful for streamers who want to engage with viewers in Discord without sharing private details.
Safety and Security Updates
Discord frequently releases updates to patch security vulnerabilities and improve user safety. Some of the recent updates include:
Improved spam detection and prevention. Discord uses machine learning to detect and block spam bots.
Ability to report embeds for inappropriate content. You can now report malicious embeds that link to phishing sites or contain offensive media.
Updates to Discord Trust and Safety policies. Discord regularly reviews and revises its policies to promote a safe community.
Keeping Discord up to date ensures you have the latest features and security patches. Install updates when prompted by Discord or manually check for updates in the app settings. Updates usually only take a few minutes to download and install.
Discord Update Failed? Here Are Some Solutions
Uh-oh, did your Discord update fail? Don’t worry, there are a few things you can try to get the latest version installed.
Check Your Internet Connection
Discord requires an internet connection to download and install updates. Double-check that your Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable is working properly. If it seems fine, try restarting your router or modem.
Free Up Storage Space
Discord updates can sometimes be quite large, so make sure you have enough free storage space on your device. Try deleting unused files and apps you no longer need. At a minimum, aim for 5-10 GB of free space.
If all else fails, you may need to uninstall Discord and reinstall the latest version. Here’s how:
- Open the Discord desktop app or mobile app settings.
- Tap ‘Uninstall’ or ‘Delete Discord’ to begin the uninstallation process.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to fully uninstall Discord.
- Visit the official Discord website or app store and download the newest version of Discord.
- Install the update and sign in to your account. Your messages, friends, and servers should all still be there.
Contact Discord Support
If reinstalling Discord does not resolve the issue, you may need to contact their official support team. They may be able to troubleshoot further or push the update directly to your account. You can reach them through their support site or on Twitter @discord.
Hope this helps get your Discord app up and running again. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Discord Update FAQs: Common Questions Answered
Discord updates regularly to fix bugs, improve performance, and add new features. To make sure you have the latest version, you’ll want to update Discord when a new update becomes available. Here are some commonly asked questions about updating Discord:
How do I know if there’s an update available?
When Discord releases an update, you’ll see a notification within the Discord app letting you know an update is ready to install. You may also notice the update status symbol in the upper right turn red, indicating an update needs to be installed.
How do I update Discord on Windows or Mac?
Updating Discord on Windows or Mac is easy. Just open the Discord app on your computer and the update will start downloading automatically. The update typically only takes a few seconds. Your Discord app may restart during the update process. Once complete, your Discord version number in the settings should reflect the latest update.
How do I update Discord on my phone?
To update Discord on your Android or iOS device:
- Open the Discord app on your phone
- Tap the menu icon (three dots) in the upper right
- Select “Check for Updates”
- If an update is available, tap “Update” to begin downloading it
- The update will install automatically. Your Discord app may restart during the update.
Will updating Discord erase my servers or messages?
No, updating Discord will not erase or delete any of your servers, channels, messages, or other Discord data. Updates typically just contain patches, performance improvements, and new features. Your Discord data will remain intact after updating. However, as with any software update, there is always a small chance of unforeseen issues, so backing up your data is recommended whenever possible.
How often does Discord release updates?
Discord aims to release updates regularly to continuously improve the app and user experience. Major updates, containing new features or design changes, typically come every 1-2 months. Minor updates, with bug fixes and performance tweaks, may come more frequently, around every 1-4 weeks. The Discord team is always working to make Discord better and your feedback and input are greatly appreciated!
So there you have it, updating Discord is pretty straightforward no matter what platform you use. Keeping the app up to date means you’ll always have the latest features and security enhancements to improve your experience.
Now get out there, update your Discord, and keep chatting with your friends – whether that’s coordinating your next raid or just hanging out. And if you run into any issues updating Discord, don’t hesitate to check their support site or reach out to their helpful staff. They’re always working to make Discord better for you and your community.
Thankyou for Reading……